Friday, November 7, 2008

Stuart and Lizzy

Since we moved into our new home the kids have had lots of fun feeding the geese. Of course the geese remember this and keep coming back - which I don't think our neighbor is too excited about . The geese are fun, but what they leave behind can be messy... Especially one day when I caught Drew just rolling down our back yard (it is a slight hill). Normally this would be fine (although it can make one a bit dizzy!), but with the thought of all the geese we have had back there it made me cringe. I didn't stop him mind you, I just gave him a good bath when he came in! At times I hear the excitement that we have a party in the backyard. The kids come running in searching for bread. We have seen up to 20 geese at one party! I have learned to buy cheap bread at the store to have on hand for such an occasion, and yes of course any bread scraps get saved now too.

There seems to be a special pair of geese that are almost always around our lake. We can identify them because one of them has a hurt wing. The kids have named them Lizzy and Stuart. Lizzy is for Sarah's best friend from PA, and Stuart is my cousin whom they got to know while living in PA. I didn't realize until just the other day, that Sarah had been so impressed with Stuarts swimming abilities (namely that he could throw her very far in the pool) and so in his honor she named the other goose for him.

Stuart and Lizzy looking for food.


A close up of Stuart, in honor of my cousin!

1 comment:

Quiver Full said...

Wow...that must be such an honor to have a goose named after you! Ha! Ha! Sounds like a lot of fun...only question...aren't they noisy?